Skip to main content

Isn't it Obvious......

5:00 p.m. relaxing on the couch with my beautiful Lambs Pride yarn slowing being turned into my Hey Teach sweater and I'm counting stitches as I knit across the first row of the lace chart. My husband walks in, sees me as he usually sees me. Sitting on the couch knitting in the evening. Nothing unusual about that right, except I don't count out loud and he has no idea that i'm having a mental breakdown in my head trying to keep in pattern, count, and knit at the same time. I say quietly 'I'm counting', he went into the kitchen, put his lunch box away etc, started talking to me again, and again I say 'I'm counting' it's possible this came out sounding snarky, I was feeling snarky at that point. It progressed from there and I thought to myself, 'doesn't he see that I'm counting?' Well I figured it out, I got my snarkiness in check and finished the first row perfectly. So well in fact that I figured I could knit in the car while we drove out to Sultan to pick up the race car. I had a plan, it was a good plan, except I didn't have a back up plan.....so when I got stuck I just had to sit there and ride in the car. Read on......

I'm not good with lace but what I lack in skill I more than make up for with false confidence. That's right. If I belive I can do it I figure I can and then get 'pissy' when it doesn't make sense. Which is why I took a picture of the chart for the Hey Teach lace pattern, sent it via text message to Marcy while my husband was driving us home from picking up the race car. I got stuck and no matter how many ways I looked at it I couldn't figure out what to do. Well, Marcy didn't get the text till she was at work so she explained to me what to do, ignore my place markers just work the pattern. I was back on track. Until the last row. I worked through the pattern exactly as it said, yarn overs (add a stitch and makes a lacy hole) and double decreases (takes away the added stitch so you never have more than you are technically supposed to and also creates a pretty little tuck decrease in the pattern) I was doing it perfectly and maintaining somewhat of a fluid conversation during lunch. Can you see my mistake? Knitting lace (for the first time) and 'maintaining' a conversation. Yeah, that's where the wheels came off and I was 2, TWO stitches short, which means I either decreased too much or didn't yarn over enough. Well I began counting, and I was right, I only had 113 stitches on the needle and I was supposed to have 115. *insert some of my favorite swear words* I stuffed it in my knitting bag and decided I would figure it out at home. Well when I got home I went over it again. I didn't miss one decrease or one yarn over, which can only mean one thing....I screwed up farther back......which means Marcy may rip it back tomorrow when she looks at it again. It's stuffed back in the bag for now and I decided instead in honor of it being 20 f'ing degrees here at night and in the morning and oh yeah, in my office (it's really a closet with a cold air return vent, but they fixed it up and I can't complain, it's four walls and a door, I just need more knitwear) In honor of the freezing cold weather here I am pulling out the yarn my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas and I am knitting the Monster Scarf pattern by by Siobhan Keillor. It's simple. The yarn is Rowan Big Wool Tuft in light pink. I like it, I may need to call the yarn store in MPLS for 4 more balls of it, but we'll see.


Anyway, that's my rant for the night. I'm pissy because I'm 2 stitches down and I didn't make it to one yarn class this week.
Good Night!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som