Skip to main content

The Yarn Stash......

(this is the yet uncataloged yarn stash...makes you want to take a nap in it, doesn't it? )

The yarn stash is an amazing thing......I suppose you could tell a lot about a person by their stash, but the only stashes I've seen are what people are getting rid of. Sometimes apologizing for what they say was a black out moment, and they can't recall why they bought it but maybe it had to do with that bit of shimmer right there if you hold it just under the fluorescent light...do you see it.. yes, that's why I bought those four balls of Louisa Harding glisten......
Clearly, after close review of my stash, I'm a wool girl. Wool is my dirty little secret. It's hardy, consistent, doesn't let you down, I always know I can get gauge with wool and it lets me achieve so much knitting satisfaction. Wool comes in so many different varieties. You can get natural wool which can be a bit scratchy so it works well as an outer garment or a hat, as long as you have a layer between you and the wool, or you can go for the Merino.....give someone something in Merino, doesn't say you like them, says you love them. Merino is soft, it's the cashmere of wool. I have a few balls of it rolling around here somewhere. (Nicole, if you're reading....those gloves that I popped in the mail for you today...100% merino sister!! (

It might be behind the Squiggle yarn that I thought...well who knows what I thought with that, all I saw was 50% off and I was sold on apparently four balls of it. Someones getting a spanking new scarf this winter, I'll start taking bribes for it tomorrow!

I love my stash, now that it's organized and I can see it all. It's colorful like me, and I don't just mean my vocabulary. I have pinks and charcoals, reds and tweeds,

(aura)

novelty yarns like Aura that shimmer like a feather boa in a bawdy house on Cannery Row. I have sock yarn, more sock yarn than I actually knew I had.....while back home in Minnesota at Christmas I went to a yarn store with mom and actually bought 5 more balls of sock yarn! I had already brought 3 with me from Seattle, I know how fast I knit and it's not a pair of socks p/day! But, when I returned home I justified it by checking the LYS and saying well, they don't have that color (not brand) color here so I was totally right to buy it in Minneapolis. My non-knitting friends think I'm a bit nuts, I think even my knitting friends think I'm a bit nutters, especially after last Tuesday when I came into the office after my major de-stash with 2 black garbage bags FULL of yarn. Quite a bit of it was take by co-workers who knit, the rest of it went to school with my managers daughters because the kids are learning to knit in school now, how cool is that.



My favorite though is Lambs Pride, http://www.brownsheep.com/ their yarn is a wool mohair blend that is so deliscious and knits so well.....I have a ton of it. It knits, it felts, it feels like a dream in your hand and the stitches get a nice twist to them when you knit with it.......
I'm almost done with the first Nasturtium sock. I know I said I would be finished and cast on with Nasturtium 2 today but the day is not over and the procrastination streak is running wild in me tonight.


I was going to work on it when I arrived home from work this afternoon but, Gabby found her indoor ball and continued to dump it in my lap and Quintus decided that the Puffs Plus with Vicks was his new favorite snack. I believe that he thinks I put the tissue box out for him like it's his own pez dispenser. Since it's almost 8:00 they are passed out on one of their beds but that is short lived. See, as I typed that Quint woke up and started grumbling at me and Gabby rolled her ball under the dresser, I'll be back, I have to get the ball or she'll cry all night long.....


Tomorrow I promise I will post a picture of the finished Nasturtium sock number 1 and the start of number 2.


Marcy has a new brace on her thumb and she is currently half-way through the foot of her first sock, she can't knit during lunch right now because her thumb muscle starts to cramp so she has to choose, lunch time or night time.So, she chose night time. I would choose night time as well, although I must say, and I say this with much love to all my friends at work, It felt a bit like you were watching live knitting t.v. today when I was the only one at the table knitting :)


On tomorrows episode, grafting the toe, and casting on....



Knit on my friends and keep the tissue box where the dogs can't reach it.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som