Skip to main content

Did I miss something........again?

Ever have that feeling that you missed something? That nagging anxiety that not is all well in your world? I do, all the time. I believe mostly that it's due to a want to do everything and the end result is that you essentially do nothing. Not the game plan, and leaves a empty little hole that nagging feelings thrive in. However lets venture down the road that isn't quite that precise. Lets say you're working on a pattern. A vest, I'm very smitten with vests right now, and you've adjusted the pattern to make it longer. This is the most complicated pattern you've executed to date, you even have a note book to write out the chart line by line, keeping copious notes. It's brilliant. So you cast on with fervor, glorying in the fact that it's working.

Look at it, all those cables are fabulous, you make it 2 inches longer and beging your arm hole and shoulder shaping. Back is done! Such accomplishment. Right now, it's key to remember 2 inches. I know it's key, that's why I make notes and that's why I noted it on the front page of the photo copy I was working on. Excellent, right on track. So, you cast on for the left front per pattern instructions, moving along, you execute your first pocket! This is a pattern of first and it's way more exciting than that first 'first' because it's something that keeps on giving. You move right through, RIGHT through the left front, bind off in a ray of glory, convincing yourself that you have achieved such a feat, bring on the right side. Cast on, admire how easily you work through the intricate cables and multiple charts, highlighting your rows, your notes. Second pocket done, so much easier the second time, everything always is.

It was as I was working the pattern during Tuesday night knitting class at my LYS So Much Yarn, when Lauren, the owner said to me, 'I love it! I can't wait to make mine and I'm also going to make mine 2 inches longer. I think that's a good idea'.
Now, this is where we go back to 2 inches being a key thing to remember. Lauren said on Tuesday that she was going to make hers 2 inches longer, I worked on the sweater on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. All the while something was eating at me but I couldn't figure it out, oh well, it would come to me if it was meant to right? It did on Sunday afternoon. I thought, I should see how this is going to look. So I grab the pieces and lay them out..........................................let me point out that at this point on Sunday I was working on the armhole decreases, so I was pretty invested........Look at my work up there...I thought I was a pro, I'm not a pro...I lay the pieces out in my living room, admiring the twists of the cables, my 2 first pockets, the beautiful honeycomb cables mingling with the horseshoe cables and the rope cables on the back, it's lovely and the front pieces are 2 damn inches SHORTER than the back. I said a very bad word many times. I pulled the yarn trying to stretch and realizing even with my limited knowledge of 'blocking' a garment that not all the blocking in the world was going to make this work. I took it to class and ripped back the left front and the right front to just below the arm hole decreases. Did I cry? I'm not going to say, my knitting ladies at class were stunned. I believe that Lynn's jaw hit the ground when she walked in and saw me there ripping it back. Wound up the yarn, put the live stitches on thread, balled up the whole heaping disaster and tossed it into a very lovely bowl on my living room table. It's been almost 8 months. I think I'm ready to play with it again. It would be nice to wear at Thanksgiving.

What's the Lesson today?
ALWAYS MARK YOUR ADJUSTMENTS ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE OF THE PATTERN.
that's it. Really easy.
Now, here is an accomplishment: I completed Monkey by Cookie A.
Aren't they lovely?

Good Night, Happy Wednesday........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

24 Hours

I don't even really know how to tell you about our last weekend. We took a trip that lasted less than 24 hours from start to finish. Saturday morning we left our home at 8:30 a.m. with our friends and we caught a train to Portland, Oregon. We were going to watch our hockey team play against the Portland Winterhawks. It's important to note that Friday Portland and areas far south of Tacoma Washington were hit with a snow storm. But, we were taking the train so we weren't super concerned. I packed extra knit items and warm clothes just in case we needed it. Boy did we need it! As soon as we got out of the train station we snagged the first cab we saw and made it thru the snow covered streets to our hotel. Which was a short walk from Memorial Coliseum where the game was being played that night. Checked in, changed our clothes into our team colors, and headed out to walk around a bit and find some pub grub... That's when we realized we were in the m