Skip to main content

Casting On........

I'm a little perturbed at the moment. I am typically very good at reading the yarn label to find out fiber content, gauge, and most importantly, yardage. I'm so good at it that the information trips off my tongue without missing a beat when I'm asked about a certain yarn.......so now I look like an idiot. The yarn is Cascade 220 Sport. The little sister to my go-to Cascade 220. Both 100 Percent Peruvian Wool, both made by Cascade, and since the 220 is in the title of both I assumed they both had 220 yards. They don't. I can't tell you how disappointed this makes me. I assumed that because the Cascade 220 Sport said '220' in the name that it indeed had 220 yards. Guess what? It doesn't, it only has 164 yards! NOW I don't have enough yarn to finish the hat I just cast on for, UGGHHH!!! However I do know where I can get my hands on another skein of it and be almost 100% sure that it's the same dye-lot.........it's going to require some serious begging but a knitters gotta do what a knitters gotta do....
So here are the stats of what I cast on:
Pattern: Autumn Vines Beret
Designer: Alana Dakos
Yarn: MEH!!!! (Cascade 164 Sport)
Colorway: Teal

Saying so many bad words in my head right now.......so many

Comments

Kelly said…
So sorry! What a pain. Maybe I'm seeing things backwards, but I'd expect sportweight yarn to have more than 220 yards... right?

I typically go by weight instead of yardage...it's easier for me to multiply by 50 to get the number of balls I need, and sometimes I grab an extra just to be on the safe side. Helps with stash attainment, too.

Kelly @ Creating a Family Home & www.all-about-knitting.blogspot.com
Carmel said…
I am notorious for buying an extra skein which is even more baffling to me....and you are correct a sport weight should have more yardage and yet......here I sit with a hat that with the first 7 rows is enough work to make you think twice before ripping it out :) Thank goodness my friend has an extra skein that I gave her so it's the same lot :)
Sazji said…
Hehe I also often buy extra skeins, because a lot of the really nice yarn I can get here is export yarn made by local companies, not regularly available. More often than not, I end up with more than I need, (a serious stash-builder) but it's better than running out an inch before the toe of a seriously-patterned sock. And having extra yarn to give away as presents (because yarn is notoriously cheap here) enables me to be an enabler to others too!

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Time of Covid

I have officially been working from home. Staying home.  Self-Isolating.  Safe Distancing.  For three four months.  My last day at my office was March 12.  If I look back and track how this transition has gone it's roller coaster.  But if you really want an accurate accounting of how my time has been spent These pictures sum it all up Thank you Anna Hrochavec for your amazing inspiring patterns Happy End of June. May the odds be ever in our favor for July. Naked Gnome, Tiny Island, Unicorn tiny cat octopus. one of my favorites fried eggs. Seriously how can you not be in love with these guys Ragnar by special request of my husband who is watching Vikings Tiny Parrot. Need to make another and send it to my nephew Ragnar likes the squirrel and dino Ragnar thinks this tiny cat is an attach tiger but it's just a cat. Sumo still waiting for his opponent Parrot meet Dragon *Drago ...

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

Oh Balls!

I'm halfway thru the second to last short row repeat... Just in time to get used to trailing three balls around with me and my Color Affection. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to be finished with this and wear it! Happy Sunday!