Skip to main content

Floating Homes!!

I just walked through the door, fired up Old Faithful and plugged in my memory card. What I thought was a gazillion pictures turned out to be about 53... let me tell you what's not there...

Insides of the houses. There are a few inside shots but if you are looking for design inspiration this is not where you will get it. Mostly because there was always a ton of people around and you wouldn't be able to see what I was photographing...also some of the owners were there and it felt weird to take pictures of a strangers home while I was walking barefoot thru it, trust me the irony is not lost on me... (the socks got too dang hot) 

The actual house itself... if I was to photograph the house you would see a lot of front doors because you can't really walk around the house (unless you can walk on water, which I haven't mastered yet) 

What you will see... 
Lots of neighborhoods... a few of the houses, and one of the residents that didn't mind being photographed. 

I'll do my best to remember the details of each photo...I should learn to take notes on these things, but since it was my first one, next year I'll do better I promise. 

For now I'll rely a bit on Wikipedia for a solid piece of info: 

SeattleWashington is home to a relatively large collection of floating houseboat neighborhoods, particularly in Lake Union and Portage Bay. The earliest houseboats in Seattle were recorded in 1905, and peaked with over 2,000 houseboats in the 1930s. There are currently approximately 500 houseboats in Seattle. 

Now as far as the number of houseboats on Lake Union and Portage Bay I believe, or so I was told by the Captain of the Duck tour I took last year, that there is a law on the books that only allows a certain number of House Boats, Floating Houses, and Barge Homes, on the lake at any given time. 

Yes the house they filmed Sleepless in Seattle in is on Lake Union, it was not on this tour but next time we take the boat out I'll post a photo of it for you...

Here are the pictures....


This is the roof top of House #2. 
Isn't it wonderful! I love succulents so I about fell off the roof when I saw this...


House #2 with the succulent roof... All the open space you see next to the pilings are lots that have either sold or are for sale so you can build your own floating home...

These trees were planted by the owner of this Floating home in Lake union. They are growing out of the lake... and yes there is a home behind there, no it wasn't on the tour...


Can't beat stepping out of your living room and into your kayaks can you...



a view from one of the roof tops looking across to Gas Works Park...Home of the Seattle Fourth of July Fireworks show every year...





The house at the very far end with the white boat next to it is the one my mom rented when she came for Thanksgiving last year..aren't these neighborhoods cool?


random piece of artwork in this persons home...

the only resident who didn't mind being photographed...He lives next to the house that is hidden behind all the trees!



this was on the bathroom wall in one of the houses...I'm not okay with this. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

24 Hours

I don't even really know how to tell you about our last weekend. We took a trip that lasted less than 24 hours from start to finish. Saturday morning we left our home at 8:30 a.m. with our friends and we caught a train to Portland, Oregon. We were going to watch our hockey team play against the Portland Winterhawks. It's important to note that Friday Portland and areas far south of Tacoma Washington were hit with a snow storm. But, we were taking the train so we weren't super concerned. I packed extra knit items and warm clothes just in case we needed it. Boy did we need it! As soon as we got out of the train station we snagged the first cab we saw and made it thru the snow covered streets to our hotel. Which was a short walk from Memorial Coliseum where the game was being played that night. Checked in, changed our clothes into our team colors, and headed out to walk around a bit and find some pub grub... That's when we realized we were in the m