Skip to main content

Floating Homes!!

I just walked through the door, fired up Old Faithful and plugged in my memory card. What I thought was a gazillion pictures turned out to be about 53... let me tell you what's not there...

Insides of the houses. There are a few inside shots but if you are looking for design inspiration this is not where you will get it. Mostly because there was always a ton of people around and you wouldn't be able to see what I was photographing...also some of the owners were there and it felt weird to take pictures of a strangers home while I was walking barefoot thru it, trust me the irony is not lost on me... (the socks got too dang hot) 

The actual house itself... if I was to photograph the house you would see a lot of front doors because you can't really walk around the house (unless you can walk on water, which I haven't mastered yet) 

What you will see... 
Lots of neighborhoods... a few of the houses, and one of the residents that didn't mind being photographed. 

I'll do my best to remember the details of each photo...I should learn to take notes on these things, but since it was my first one, next year I'll do better I promise. 

For now I'll rely a bit on Wikipedia for a solid piece of info: 

Seattle, Washington is home to a relatively large collection of floating houseboat neighborhoods, particularly in Lake Union and Portage Bay. The earliest houseboats in Seattle were recorded in 1905, and peaked with over 2,000 houseboats in the 1930s. There are currently approximately 500 houseboats in Seattle. 

Now as far as the number of houseboats on Lake Union and Portage Bay I believe, or so I was told by the Captain of the Duck tour I took last year, that there is a law on the books that only allows a certain number of House Boats, Floating Houses, and Barge Homes, on the lake at any given time. 

Yes the house they filmed Sleepless in Seattle in is on Lake Union, it was not on this tour but next time we take the boat out I'll post a photo of it for you...

Here are the pictures....


This is the roof top of House #2. 
Isn't it wonderful! I love succulents so I about fell off the roof when I saw this...


House #2 with the succulent roof... All the open space you see next to the pilings are lots that have either sold or are for sale so you can build your own floating home...

These trees were planted by the owner of this Floating home in Lake union. They are growing out of the lake... and yes there is a home behind there, no it wasn't on the tour...


Can't beat stepping out of your living room and into your kayaks can you...



a view from one of the roof tops looking across to Gas Works Park...Home of the Seattle Fourth of July Fireworks show every year...





The house at the very far end with the white boat next to it is the one my mom rented when she came for Thanksgiving last year..aren't these neighborhoods cool?


random piece of artwork in this persons home...

the only resident who didn't mind being photographed...He lives next to the house that is hidden behind all the trees!



this was on the bathroom wall in one of the houses...I'm not okay with this. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life in the Time of Covid

I have officially been working from home. Staying home.  Self-Isolating.  Safe Distancing.  For three four months.  My last day at my office was March 12.  If I look back and track how this transition has gone it's roller coaster.  But if you really want an accurate accounting of how my time has been spent These pictures sum it all up Thank you Anna Hrochavec for your amazing inspiring patterns Happy End of June. May the odds be ever in our favor for July. Naked Gnome, Tiny Island, Unicorn tiny cat octopus. one of my favorites fried eggs. Seriously how can you not be in love with these guys Ragnar by special request of my husband who is watching Vikings Tiny Parrot. Need to make another and send it to my nephew Ragnar likes the squirrel and dino Ragnar thinks this tiny cat is an attach tiger but it's just a cat. Sumo still waiting for his opponent Parrot meet Dragon *Drago ...

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

Oh Balls!

I'm halfway thru the second to last short row repeat... Just in time to get used to trailing three balls around with me and my Color Affection. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to be finished with this and wear it! Happy Sunday!