Skip to main content

Five Days

Five days from now I will arrive at Memorial Stadium in downtown Seattle to embark on a 60 mile journey to end breast cancer. I'm nervous but stoked at the same time!
I'm breaking out my old lanyard from 2007

This weekend had been about preparing my gear, staging the packing, and running around Target like a woman possessed to get the blister kit refreshed.


All the necessities for a successful walk: Camelback, Blister Kit, Shower Kit, Advil, socks, x-large Ziploc bags, duct tape, and leis

Things in my pack:
The camelback for water and to hold on the route essentials. Extra layers, snacks, camera and first aid/blister kit.
Duct Tape: It's not what you think it's for, duct tape is amazing at holding your feet together when they are ready to just abandon your body.
X-large Ziploc Bags: pack each days clothes in them that way you won't have to dig, everything is in one place AND you have a bag to put the dirty ones in at the end of the day.
Face Clothes & Deodorant: I don't think I have to explain the deodorant but the face washcloths are an essential. Nothing feels better at mile 15 than being able to wipe sweat and grime off your face. It's a refreshing pick me up.
Camera: To catch all the memories!
Lei's: To go with the Tutu's that I need to get busy making!

One might say that three boxes of blister patches is overkill.
That same one didn't see my feet at the end of the 3-Day in 2007. I had so many blister patches on them it looked like I stuck my foot in a pond of albino leeches.
I've got enough to cover my feet and my teammates.

The Flamingo headband was handed out by the Woodland Park Zoo promoting the Flamingos arriving in 2008. They are a bit creepy now, some of the feathers have disappeared and each are missing an eye. I think I'll leave them at home this year.
I'm excited.
I'm excited to be walking with Alyssa and Tami again.
I think they are excited to walk with me again...
We've been talking a lot about what we are going to wear.
I think day 3 is going to be a fun day to see us, for those of you in the area and want to come out and cheer us along day 3 starts near Husky Stadium and we wind our way thru Seattle. Day three is the most emotional day I believe. At least it was for me six years ago.



If you live in the Seattle Area come out and cheer all of us on! Everyone loves it!
 
Friday, September 20
8:35 a.m. – 10:45 a.m., Mile 6.7
Park on the Lid
I-90 Trail and 72nd Avenue SE
Mercer Island, WA 98040

12:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Mile 20.1
Idylwood Park...
3650 W. Lake Sammamish Pkwy NE (A-Frame Picnic Shelter just before pit stop)
Redmond, WA 98052

Saturday, September 21
8:35 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Mile 6.7
Heritage Park
125 Waverly Way
(west end of park)
Kirkland, WA 98033

11:10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Mile 16.6
Grasslawn Park
14400 Old Redmond Way
Redmond, WA 98052

Sunday, September 22
8:45 a.m. – 10:35 a.m., Mile 6.2
Ballard Locks
3015 54th Street NW
Seattle, WA 98107

10:50 a.m. – 1:50 p.m., Mile 12.2
Elliot Bay Trail Parking Lot
W. Galer Street & Alaskan Way
Seattle, WA 98119

Closing ceremonies are at Memorial Stadium downtown Seattle and start to 4:30 on 09/22!!
 
There is still time to donate! Just click the button at the top of the page and it'll take you right to the donation page!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som