Skip to main content

A Good Yarn, Sarasota Florida


Remember the movie 'Beaches' with Bette Midler.
*side note, I'm a huge Bette Midler fan
When her friend was dying, Bette went to visit her at a beach house and that beach house was in Sarasota.
From that point on I've wanted to go to Sarasota.
Of course the movie came out 26 years ago... so maybe the dream of going to Sarasota had dwindled but every time Sarasota has been mentioned I think of that movie and the beach house and I think...'I bet Sarasota is perfect'

Fast forward 26 years and in that time I;
still love Bette Midler
Have learned how to knit
Had a mom who moved to Florida.
Moved within 2 hours driving of Sarasota
and look
Sarasota has a yarn shop
and
according to the hive mind on the American's Knitting Ravelry Group, the yarn store is Fantastic!

It truly is...
If I was in Miami I'd find a way to get there for the day.
The staff are amazingly helpful, and happy, and kind, and you feel like you're walking into a shop that just wants to wrap you up in that happiness...
There was a huge table by the front windows and it was jam packed with a weekly knitting group.
Those ladies were having a rolling good time and if there had been a chair open I would have plopped right down with them.
However, I was distracted by not only the amazing knit samples of projects. The beautiful skeins, balls, hanks, and swatches of yarn were calling my name. Mom's too, I lost her for a bit among the wooly goodness!

The best part of this shop for me though was the knit coral reef.

A whole reef.

I'm definitely going to be knitting some things from this reef.

I'm definitely going to knit some Jellies!
Mom and I both decided that A Good Yarn in Sarasota will become a annual trip for us every time I visit!
If you are in Florida and you are within 3 hours driving of A Good Yarn, do it. You won't be disappointed.

Watch for turtles crossing the highway though.
Seriously I almost hit one and if the speed limit was 70 mph in Florida and people weren't driving 85 I would have stopped and made my mom help me turn little Yoshi around and head him back to the swamp... *he wasn't little he probably weighed about 100lbs)

A Good Yarn
7418 S Tamiami Trail,
Sarasota, FL 34231
(941) 487-7914
 
You can also find a link to the shop here: America's Knitting has a map of all the yarn shops in the US!
http://www.americasknitting.com/viewCity.php?state=FL&city=Sarasota

A little bit of Churchmouse (Easy Folded Poncho) action going on here

 


 After you spend a good 2-3 hours shopping, oohing, ahhing, and groping yarn you need to head over to Phillipi Creek Village for lunch. Eat at the place with a huge clam shell photo op in front, order a Landshark Lager and a fried grouper sandwich with fries. Then order another Landshark and enjoy the view of the water, the pelicans, and the possible alligator sighting.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som