Skip to main content

My Visit to Monarch Knitting in Pacific Grove


This post has been a long two weeks coming. 
My love for Monarch Knitting in Pacific Grove California is no secret. 
It's a yarn shop that sings to my knitterly soul. 
It's open, airy, and full of beautiful natural light so you can see the true colors of the yarns. 

Don't get me started on the yarns. 

Okay. 

Twist my arm. 

 Their yarn selection is HUGE people.
HUGE. 
They literally have something for every knitters taste and budget. 
Not to mention pattern ideas for all of it. 

I think you all know, I hit that basket of Madelinetosh hard. 
Hard I tell you. 
I raided it at least twice, maybe four times. 
Okay five. 
My current shawl project is utilizing that skein of vibrant blue in the front and another skein that I ferreted out like little gopher.


What makes Monarch the best though are the women who work there and Anne the owner. 
They are friendly and knowledgeable about everything in the store and the knitting world. 
They are the happiest people I've ever met. 
Then again, look where they get to spend their days.


 On our vacation in PG I must have been in the store at least five times. They were literally two blocks up and two blocks over from the sweet Little Adobe we were staying in. 
Definitely dangerous proximity for me. 
Between my mom and I, we bought so much yarn that it filled the top half of my suitcase. 


 I bought yarn to start four projects and I started three while I was there. 
I think I touched every single thing in the store. 
 


How sweet is this? Wee Liesl by Ysolda knit up in Liberty Wool. 
I need to make this for a friend of mine who is having a baby girl this fall. 
Oooh and lucky me, I have a gift certificate to Monarch. 
Anne I'll be calling to make some purchases. 


Not only is the selection amazing 
The store beautiful. 
Their displays and layout are what really make me happy. 
I love a well laid out shop. 
 


I travel to three places pretty consistently and try to visit as many yarn shops as I can each time I visit. 
I have my LYS in Seattle with So Much Yarn. 
My LYS when I visit my mom in Florida is A Good Yarn Sarasota. A two hour drive from mom's place. 
My LYS in Minnesota is Knitting by the Lake in Excelsior. 
and 
When I travel to the Monterey Penninsula my LYS is 
Monarch Knitting. 
 



If you are in the area you must stop in at the shop. 

Tell them Carmel sent you. 

I would never steer you wrong. 
 
Thank you again to Anne, Jenn, and all the ladies at the shop. I love seeing you all every year. I can't wait to return next June.

Comments

Ann said…
Thank you for the kind words about Monarch Knitting. We love our store so much and it means a lot to us to read your post. Loved having you and your mom visit while in our beautiful little town. We look forward to your return visit. Happy Knitting! Ann, Koryn, Jenn, Diane and Jana

Popular posts from this blog

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

24 Hours

I don't even really know how to tell you about our last weekend. We took a trip that lasted less than 24 hours from start to finish. Saturday morning we left our home at 8:30 a.m. with our friends and we caught a train to Portland, Oregon. We were going to watch our hockey team play against the Portland Winterhawks. It's important to note that Friday Portland and areas far south of Tacoma Washington were hit with a snow storm. But, we were taking the train so we weren't super concerned. I packed extra knit items and warm clothes just in case we needed it. Boy did we need it! As soon as we got out of the train station we snagged the first cab we saw and made it thru the snow covered streets to our hotel. Which was a short walk from Memorial Coliseum where the game was being played that night. Checked in, changed our clothes into our team colors, and headed out to walk around a bit and find some pub grub... That's when we realized we were in the m