24DOK: Day's 5 & 6 All Things Accessories!

Oh Winter Accessories. 
How I love thee. 

Though none of mine are matched sets we have reached the time of year where I walk out of the house looking like I just ran thru a haberdashery heedlessly grabbing hat, gloves, scarf etc. 

The effect is eclectic if not a bit urchin-ish.

Todays' patterns are three of my favorite accessories for winter. 

A Hat. 
A Cowl. 
Fingerless Mittens. 

All from one beautiful designer. 

Elizabeth Smith from The Brown Stitch

I have been a big fan of her patterns for years now. 
I first knit her Little Coffee Bean Cardigan for a friends son, followed by her Mud Season Pullover for my mom. 
I have her Ledge Trail Vest on the needles for me (i really need to finish that) and my 'Cardigan's for me Queue' is chock-a-block full of her cardigan patterns.

When it comes to layering, simple style with a touch of lace, cables, or stripes, Elizabeth has it nailed. 

Today's choices are perfect little gifts that you can knit up in coordinating colors to give a set, or to knit and gift separately. 

First are the East End Armwarmers. I love these. Longer than your traditional fingerless mitt, and slouchy like the sleeves of your favorite sweater. the little cable detail on the cuff is perfect. Pattern calls for DK weight yarn and size 6 needles. I don't know about you but I will definitely be knitting myself a pair of these this winter!


Next from Elizabeth's collection is her Simplicity Hat. Again using a DK Weight yarn, size 5 & 6 needles, simple ribbed cuffed brim. The hat looks like your favorite well loved dependable 'i can get thru any winter weather coming at me' hat. I love simple folded brim, snug hats. So do my brothers. If I didn't show some restraint my brothers would have more hats flying at them than they would know what to do with. 


My final choice from her collection is New Canaan. Not to be confused with her Canaan
This pattern is written to use any yarn from fingering weight to bulky. Honestly. I love patterns that give me options like this, depending on who I am knitting it for and where they live in the world I can hit my stash like a mobster and come up with something. 


Whether you choose to make these individually or as a matchy-matchy set, whoever gets them will quickly put them in their all time favorite knitwear drawer and hopefully wear them out so you get to make them more. 

Thank you to Elizabeth Smith for letting me use her photos and for being such a brilliant designer. I love all your patterns and when my someday dream comes true to be a stay at home boxer dog knitting mom I will eventually get them all knit. Till then, I'll keep buying the patterns and feeding the stash. 

Cheers! 
Carmel 


Comments

Popular Posts