Skip to main content

The Fair-Isle Challenge Continues!

Pardon my absence these past weeks.
It's been a bit crazy round these parts.
A trip to Europe that was amazing. Time with family.

Catching up at work.
Catching up at home.
Another weekend getaway to Lopez Island.
More catching up.
*Rental 1 is preparing for her next adventure so there were some happy good-byes.
Planning **Rental 2's bridal shower that is going to be amazing thanks to help from R1 and friends.

The knitting is happening.
While in London I cast on Neep Heid by Kate Davies.
I'm really getting a feel for her patterns and working the decreases when the time comes.
Trust me when I say, if there is something tricky in her patterns her website will have a tutorial on it.
I made this for the owner of the Scotmans Bistro's wife. I can't wait to give it to her. I love the way it turned out and the colors are so lovely vibrant and springy!


Next on and off the needles was Alaska by Camille Descoteaux.
Rental 1 is moving to Alaska with her husband Rob till October. So I knit her this hat.
I love it. I have the yarn to knit one Rob as well but I had to take a break from it. 
I broke from the pattern and did a corrugated 1x1 ribbing. I'll never do that again. I love me some corrugated ribbing, when it's 2x2. Tedious doesn't even begin to explain what a PIA 1x1 corrugated ribbing can be.
Again, for a beginner Fair-Isle knitter it's a great pattern because you only have to carry two yarns and you can choose a transitioning yarn like Noro for the background. Although if you deep dive into Ravelry you'll see where people just used solids.
My younger niece. The heart of my heart in the midwest saw the finished product when my brother was scrolling thru instagram and said 'Aunt Carmel makes stuff like that' heart melting thank you very much. My brother told her 'that is Aunt Carmel's. She knit that'.
So the heart of my heart blazing light in my world is getting a hat as well.

It's fingering weight. Lightweight yarn. It'll be a perfect summer hat for Alaska. I can't wait to see pictures of it. Rental 1 is a knitter as well and with the help of Youtube I taught her to knit Fair-Isle and seeing as how I hate to teach people anything... maybe not hate, but I am a frustrated teacher... just ask D.



Again, highly recommend this hat for a newbie to Fair-Isle. Maybe not your first one but definitely put it in the arsenal. Get a good highlighter to mark off your rows and go for it. Skip the 1x1 corrugated ribbing.

I have cast on for my May Fair-Isle hat. Ferry in the Harbor by Kirsten Kapur
I've been a big fan of Kirsten's patterns for a long time but I think the only thing I've knit of hers are the Nasturtium Socks back when I first learned how to knit socks...

Ferry in the Harbor or FITH as I am referring to it now, calls for Dk Yarn size 5 and 6 needles and away you go.
I chose magenta and green socks that rock from my stash. Turns out the magenta is a smidge more sport than dk but whatev's it's going to work and be amazing!
 
I am also in the final stretch of a quick test knit for Jane Richmond and as soon as the testing is wrapped and the pattern posted for public consumption I'll share it with you here. Testing has to be done by May 16 so I believe the release will be shortly after that.

Today is the start of the 2018 PNW yarn crawl 
So tomorrow I will hit the ferry and head to Mary's and off we'll go!
 
*Rental 1 is my niece Shelby. 
 **Rental 2 is her best friend Kels.
They both became my Rental Kids 4 years ago in Maui.

Off Topic:I would like to thank SnapChat for coming up with a filter that makes me look just like Rental 2.
Happy Thursday! Full Yarn Crawl report coming this weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som