Skip to main content

A Hat, Fresh Yarn, and a Yarn Crawl or Two

We're pretty lucky in the Pacific Northwest.
Not only do we have an abundance of yarn shops.
We have three yarn crawls alone (that I am aware of) in Washington.
The PNW Yarn Crawl does a Spring and Fall event
Then there is the annual LYS Tour which is happening this week.*

The PNW Yarn Crawl covers a smaller number of stores. Which I love because it's totally doable in one day if you are willing to put in the drive.This is best done with company.

The LYS Tour covers a lot of ground and a lot of shops and honestly I believe takes at least three days as it not only involves some serious mileage but you have ferry crossings to negotiate.

Mary and I did the PNW Crawl on May 4.
I caught the 7:00 a.m. Ferry to Kingston and we hit the road.
Hit all the shops.
Had lunch in Chehalis.
Finished the day in Allyn at Allyn Knitting and Spinning Supply where my friend Myra had a pop up shop of all her hand-dyed yarn. This is what I was holding out for, I wanted to buy more of Myra's yarn.



 

 
During the tour I finished Ferry in the Harbor and started Herringbone Hat using the yarn purchased from Fancy Image Yarn. 

We also hit the LYS Tour on May 19. A very selective tour. I wanted to hit Tolt Yarn in Tolt Washington but since I was grabbing Mary at the ferry with two of her friends we hit All Wound Up in Edmonds, Mad Cow Yarn in Kenmore, Quintessential Knits in Duvall, Tolt, and making our way back to Edmonds hit Serial Knitters in Kirkland. We were on a tight schedule because they wanted to be back at the ferry by 4:00 and we made it by 4:30. As the west side tour guide/driver I did my best to keep all the ladies on track!


Click the LYS tour link above to get a complete list of shops. Based on this map though you can see the commitment required to pull this off successfully!
I had a very specific list of yarn I needed to buy and a tight budget based on those needs. I needed Jamieson wool for my next fair-isle hat project, which I knew I was going to find at Tolt. I needed three skeins of Cascade 220 to knit a couple Seahawk hats for the upcoming season which I didn't find until we reached Serial Knitters.

I may or may not have bought two skeins of WoolFolk not on the shopping list.

Both were super fun, super busy days.

You can find all the yarn shops listed by visiting America's Knitting  and utilize the super fancy shop map 

Happy Wednesday? Tuesday? What day is it? 

 
*this post was created many weeks back and is being posted late due to life, birthdays, and the crazies. I hope to return to regularly scheduled posting by July 1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som