Skip to main content

Welcome to 2020




Is it just me or did the last months of 2019 whip out of here like a birds heading south?

Maybe it's just me.

Thanksgiving

BOOM

Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
I should point out the day after Christmas all my decorations came down. 

BOOM BOOM BOOM

Then financial year end, New Years Eve.

a food blog I follow said the perfect New Years Eve food and wine pairing is takeout fried chicken and sparkling wine so that's what we had.

Now it's just a normal Friday.

So I know I said a couple blog posts ago that I was going to have some big news after Thanksgiving.
I didn't post right away because I need to process all of it.

All of you know I was adopted as a newborn by my parents who picked me up and took me home to Washington State.

I was born in Basin Wyoming May 1974.


I have always been curious about my biological parents but never pursued it.
Then a couple years ago I did a 23 & me dna test.

Nothing really hit close to me. Not that I knew.
I mean what good is a dna test if you can't identify where the relatives come from because you don't know them.

So I did another one this past summer. My Heritage DNA and that one hit closer.
I connected with a first cousin. Nancy. She's my hero in all the ups and downs of this journey. Family members message me and welcome me and try to explain the connection and Nancy is always there to straighten it all out.

I sat on it for a while (about a month or so) then decided, what the hell, shoot her an email and see what comes back.

I got two emails back in the same night 4 hours apart but I didn't see either of them till the next morning.

When I was at work.
Alone.
No one awake to call.
Just me at my desk freaking out. 

I had connected with my biological mothers first cousin.
Then whammo I was emailing my biological mother.
Sadly at the same time I was emailing her we discovered her brother had just passed away.

Then after weeks of messaging back and forth D and I made the decision to return to Basin for Thanksgiving to meet her and some of the family.


Turns out, it's a big extended family.
I met cousins.
I met aunts, an uncle, family friends. Steva's foster children and their families. 
It was fun.
It was overwhelming at times.
It was such an experience.

South Big Horn County Hospital where I was born
My mom and dad took a photo outside the hospital the day I was born and I was trying to recreate it but I think the trees in their photo are gone.
We're heading back again in June to meet more of the extended family.
I don't have any half-siblings.
She has a dairy cow named Sugar.

Big Horn River 
It's hard to explain all the emotions you feel when something like this comes along.
All your life you wonder where you get certain things from and then you see it.

I'm so glad I went.

I'm so grateful for the life she gave me and grateful to my parents who adopted me.
I'm grateful for the extended family I have met and look forward to meeting more in the future.





















We stayed at the Historic Greybull Hotel and it's the cutest place I've ever stayed. They had this little curio shelf on the wall that the owner places items he finds left behind in rooms.

Lil'D the dragon decided he liked it in the hotel and so I left him there in the cabinet.

So now it's January.
I'm running a KAL in the America's Knitting Ravelry group if any of you want to swing in and join us.

We're all knitting patterns from designer Espace Tricot
I have cast on their Twistmas Hat, Aise, and Turtle Dove

I'll keep you posted on progress. It doesn't help that I am also knitting the Grab n' Go shawl by Brome Fields 

Hope you all had a great end of 2019 and an excellent beginning to 2020 

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitter Down...I Repeat, We Have a Knitter Down...

It's probably not that dramatic, well maybe it is, who can say for sure....but I can say this, right now from my elbow to my wrist is some gnarly pain that was flared last night after knitting 6 rows of the Shawl...SIX ROWS and then WHAMMO! so much pain. This isn't the first day I've had this, I've actually been ignoring for a few days ...okay, I've been ignoring it for a couple weeks but this is the worst it's been...So, I've made inquiries as to which doctor to see and am waiting to hear back to make an appointment...while I wait ice packs, and copious amounts of pain meds (don't worry by copius I really mean, recommended daily dose) are being taken with the shedding of a few tears while I fondle my knitting... stay tuned...this can't possibly last forever xoxoxo c. p.s. Fati...don't worry I have a plan if this whole wrist issues blows out of control...

W.I.P

Bears Barn Owl. We had a hockey game last night and while I'm normally so wrapped up in the game that I don't have time to knit, that was not the case last night. Silvertips have had a rough go and the Red Deer Rebels really wolloped them last night. So I knit. I ate some dingleberries. Delicious. and I knit some more. I have a feeling I'll be finishing this bad boy up by tomorrow and he'll be the star of the retreat. Isn't his color wonderful?

The countdown...

The Elbow has taken things a little to far. After three cortisone shots, icing, and squeezing exercises, it's just not behaving... Tuesday I went into the MRI tube do the Doc H. Could get a good look at what's going on...wear and tear is what's going on and it's only getting worse.. I can keep getting shots of cortisone but eventually they'll stop being as effective. Surgery will be the best option. That's right. SURGERY Wanna know the worst part? Recovery can take up to five months Five Months 5 FIVE months of no knitting... . . . I'll give you a second to get up off the floor... . . . You read that again didn't you? . . . my friend MzKimba has graciously offered to take care of my stash. However I think I'll just pack it all up and store it somewhere safe till I get the all clear from Doc H. Now all this being said, I have projects that need to be completed, so I'm going to try and schedule the surgery for som